The first summer we were married, Caleb began reading books to me since I was still recovering from mono and didn't have much energy to do much. That summer he read me all three books in the Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers. Those books were amazing...all 1,500 pages of them!
So since then, one of our favorite things to do together is read to one another. Recently we finished "The Heavenly Man." It is the story of a Chinese Christian man named Brother Yun, and how God used him to spread the story of Jesus throughout the country of China in the last 40 years or so. It is remarkable...the miracles, the stories that are shared in the book...it definitely increases your faith! I have actually heard Brother Yun speak a number of years back, but had never finished the book myself. (Which is a terrible habit of mine to start a book, get half way through, and not finish it.) So, Caleb and I enjoyed it together this time, after our friends Eric and Roxy Ericsson encouraged us to do so...and we both agree it was an incredible book!
And now, as Christmas is approaching, we have a two-fold goal with the hopes of getting to know Jesus better. First, Caleb is finishing up his second time reading through the Bible this year and is currently in the gospels which are stories of Jesus from His friend's points of view. So, I recently began reading through them again as well. Our hope is to read all four of the gospels, as we come upon Christmas, and celebrate His birth. And then, in addition, a week ago Caleb began reading me John Eldridge's new book called "Beautiful Outlaw." (Thank you Liz Ditty for the book...we love it!) Caleb has been an Eldridge fan for years...he has even given out so many of his books to friends as gifts. However, Caleb is saying this is the best and most important book John Eldridge has ever written. And I have to say, this book definitely looks like it could go down as one of my favorites as well! It is an easy read, and although we have only read a few chapters, it has opened my eyes a bit with a new perspective on what Jesus' personality was like. We highly recommend it.
So.....as Christmas comes, and it is easy to get caught up in the hype of the celebrations, we really hope to have moments we we pause, rest, soak in, and remember the wonder that Jesus is actually God Who became man so we can know Him, not just know about Him. What an amazing thing! And I am so blessed that I get to do it along with my husband. :) My two favorite men...Jesus and Caleb. Although Dad is in that list too!
I pray we all keep perspective this holiday season....
No comments:
Post a Comment