Thursday, December 20, 2012

Day #1 Of Our Break: A Hospital Visit

I think it is safe to say that the only real Christmas tradition that Caleb and I have are trips to the doctors.  Two years ago he was down with a bad knee and I had throat surgery...I don't know who was in worse shape that year.  Last year, Caleb couldn't walk with a flare-up and start of the pseudovasculitis.

Which brings me to this year.....

Since day #1 of Caleb's new job, I have literally been crossing off the days on a calendar until his Christmas break.  This calendar is on our refrigerator.  We have been dreaming of two weeks off together, without any physical ailments, to just enjoy spending time with each other over the holidays.

Good news: We still get our break together.  Bad news: We had a minor hiccup in our plans and we may be resting a little more than planned, but that is okay!

Caleb started feeling not so well on Monday but thought it would just go away.  Then Tuesday he went to his last day of work before his two weeks off.  He told me his stomach hurt but didn't want to worry me.  He pushed through it that day, being it was his last day and he had a busy day. But when he got home and started describing the pain to me, I told him it didn't sound like the flu to me.  Plus, he seemed fine unless we were laughing, when he would hold his stomach and moan.

So we waited til morning, day #1 of our break.  But, sadly, he said it hurt worse.  And when I asked him if he wanted me to take him to the doctor, he said, "maybe."  And that is when I knew it was something more serious because Caleb would never consider going to the doctor unless it was.  Before he even got out of bed I called the doctor, and they got him in within the hour.  A half hour after that appointment he had an ultrasound, where we found out that he had appendicitis.  And we were told they could either get an ambulance to take him to the ER or we could drive and they would let them know we were on our way.

Side note: I had not showered in a couple days and didn't think I would be gone all day....ugh.

We stopped by the house for some books and food before going to the hospital.  We hurried to get going.  But the crazy part is that we could have taken our time even though they acted like it was urgent.  We ended up waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting all day for an operation room to open up.  They said that they were over 200% capacity for some reason that day.  We were both in great spirits, literally laughing all day.  After all the things we have been through with Caleb's health, this felt like nothing in comparison.  The hardest part was the thing that hurt Caleb the worst was laughing....and we couldn't stop!  There was one point where I was trying not to laugh so he wouldn't and my face contorted.  So I looked away.  When I looked back at him he looked like he was in pain and I asked him if he was okay.  His response:  "I can't look at your face or I will start laughing."  I was like, "Well, thanks."  And we both busted out laughing, as he held his side.




So finally, at 9:30 at night they wheeled him to pre-op and was out of surgery before midnight.  The hardest part was when they wheeled him away.  And also when I drove home.  I don't know what it is about surgery and being utterly exhausted but it makes you a little more emotional.  Being we were in Clackamas, as I drove home to sleep for a few hours, I drove the route I used to drive when we were dating.  And kept telling God I had no idea back then what an amazing guy He was giving me and just asked God to take care of him.  That was literally only the fifth night we have had apart since we have been married.

The good news, he is doing great and we got him home at 9:30 this morning.  Meaning, it was only a 25 hour inconvenience in our break together.  It is a good thing he got it out.  The doctor said that although he was the healthiest patient they worked on that day, his appendix was the worst by a large margin.

So today we have been in our PJs and just watched TV and taken naps.  To be honest, we haven't talked much cause the only rule is "no laughing" and it seems like he thinks I am really funny these days and has been fighting the giggles.  He says it is like being in church and knowing you can't laugh...it makes it worse.  So it is safer not to communicate much so he isn't having to control his abs!  haha!

There aren't any pictures of post-op cause they definitely are a little worse.  But we have 13 days ahead together and I am sure we will have many memories made!  Either way, I am just thankful to spend time with Caleb.  He is my best friend and I would rather just hang out with him than do anything else anyways! And I am so thankful he is better.....

No comments:

Post a Comment