Friday, August 26, 2011

Moments Make Memories

I have a huge weekend ahead, where Caleb and I are planning on being pulled in every which direction.  But today I am not so much thinking of my to-do list.  Rather, I am thinking these are the best days of my life. 

I think this means I have grown a lot over the last year.  I remember getting stressed out over everything that was on my plate one night last year, and Caleb's response was to gently say, "Don't stress out Sweetie.  These could be the best years of our life."  So true.

So today, as I prepare to race around for the next, well month, but in particular the next three days, I have a smile on my face and actually am making time to sit and write and reflect on life. :)

Some friends of mine invited me to be part of their book club recently.  They are currently reading "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp.  I highly recommend it.  In fact, I know of multiple book clubs who have read through this book recently.  The whole idea of this book (so far, since I am not finished with it) is a story of a woman who had suffered a lot of heartbreak in her life.  I could relate completely.  She had lost multiple people close to her.  And through life she walked with God, but realized she was lacking something.  She describes the series of events in her life that lead her to realize that the thing she was missing was "joy."  And after reading in the Bible, she realizes thankfulness goes hand-in-hand with joy.  Nothing profound, I know...many of us have heard many sermons and even preached it.  But I am reminded in a new way, as I read this book, that all the little moments in life (like making Caleb his lunch for him every morning as he reads his Bible) together all add up and really make up our life.  The author began to realize that those little moments are actually little gifts from God that we all seem to pass by and not not even notice when we are busy.  So now, as the author did, I am beginning my new "list"...but this time is isn't a to-do list.  It is a list of 1,000 gifts that God gives me.  And as I write them down, I am in essence thanking God for his nearness in my moments that make up life.

To further my thinking, this morning I had a Rascal Flatts playlist going in the background as I got ready for the day.  It ended up landing on "Ellsworth, Kansas" which is such a sweet song.  It is about an elderly woman and what she actually remembers as she has Alzheimer's.  What she remembers...her husband of many years.  It has me smiling and contemplating my life.

There are so many memories I love....that I didn't realized were going to mean so much when they happened.

If my kids ask me why I am wearing a black and orange HUGE jacket in my pictures of Caleb and I getting engaged, I will laugh.  He wanted me to wear his letterman's jacket so bad that day.  I almost think giving me his jacket was more important to him than the ring! :)

When we both had health issues and were tight on money, I prayed for enough money for a Christmas tree.  Little did I know we would be given a gift card and go buy a super small, not so pretty, fake Christmas tree.  But it was our first Christmas tree together.  And I love that!

Speaking of Christmas trees....I introduced Caleb to the old singer Evie this year!  He had never heard the Evie Christmas album "Come on Ring Those Bells"!!!  So as he laid down and slept after a football game one Sunday afternoon, as his knee was all messed up, I decorated the tree.  Sometimes I would realize he was awake and watching me though.  Special time.

I could go on and on....but I actually do have things to do today! ha!  But I am going about my day peaceful, with joy.  Because I know I have many memories that are being made as I go about.  First thing on my list...bring Caleb his lunch he forgot to bring to his work, before I head to the salon. I have a feeling it is a moment in the making... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment