It has kind of left us in an unknown season. But even this morning I was reminded in my reading of the truth that we are hanging onto. I started reading 2 Corinthians again, and oh how I love this book! In the first chapter I was reminded once again of God's purposes. Years ago, right before she was diagnosed with her terminal cancer, Mom told Dad that she really felt God led her to and really spoke to her through a passage from this chapter, in particular verses 8-11. And this passage really encouraged and lifted her up during her illness, and it did the same for me once again this morning.
"For we do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again. You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many."
This really strengthened my heart this morning. We (I!!!) don't have to be fearful of the unknown and the struggles we are facing. That is because we can trust God. As hard as we can strive to rely on ourselves, it is God who has the power to help us. So, just as last year we were able to make it through a hard bout of flare-ups, we trust that God is with us helping us through right now as well. So, this morning (as I often have to do day by day), I determined to set my hope firmly on God's deliverance.
So during this time we trust.
But we are also asking those in our lives to pray with us, as the verse said, so many will give thanks to God on our behalf. We are asking above all that God is magnified and glorified in our lives. We want to make sure that we are surrendered and yielded to every purpose that God has planned for this trial we are in. And then, also asking us to give us some answers to know what is going on in Caleb's body.
In the meantime I am going to keep reading 2 Corinthians (and recommend it for everybody!). In fact, I just got cookies out of the oven (sugar, dairy, gluten free cookies I might add) and about to go drink coffee, as I read with Caleb. These are sweet moments that are simply timeless and amazing, and I am thankful for peace for today.
On a side note, I am so thankful to my friend Heather Hurt who bought me a new Bible for me to read through during this time. I had mentioned I LOVED the "set-up" of the Bible which has lines on the side to write notes as you read. Anyhow, she went and bought one for me and I am sooo thankful for it! Although the words are the same, it is fun and inspiring to have a new Bible.
| I love 2 Corinthians! |
1 comment:
I always think of your mom when I read that passage in 2 Corinthians. What a hope that we have - being able to TRUST in God! Where would we be without this Hope?
Thank you for updating us. Your outlook is very exemplary! I will be praying for you guys.
Post a Comment