Two nights ago, Caleb and I were talking about what we were like when we were little kids. We laughed so hard recalling memories. Most of my stories he responded by saying, "Oh you are so sweet." And most of the stories he shared with me, I responded, "Did you ever tell your Mom and Dad?" And we would laugh as he said, "I don't know. But they would probably laugh now..." Haha! He seemed like an adorable and funny kid....much like he is now, only much bigger now. I have always said every man is a little boy in a big boy's body....it has proven true in my life! haha!
But, as we talked, we really just wished that we had known each other at that point in our lives, when we were young. Caleb said, "I think we would have really liked each other even then." Oh, that would have been so special.
It was interesting as we shared. We are obviously older now and have both experienced so much life....both in different ways. And as we talked about our paths of growing up, I was struck with the thought that we both have had stories that have really lead us to God, and as a result, to each other. He was a young boy who wanted to be a strong man with purpose. I was a young girl that wanted to love big and feel safe. We both had obstacles along the way that resulted in some pretty heavy heartbreak. But in the end, those things led us to God, brokenness and all....and years later, those same things would guide our hearts to one another, to compliment and strengthen and build up where the other was lacking.
Our lives before we knew each other really did prepare us for our life together. The things Caleb endured and experienced made him the man he is today. And the same is true of me as well. And as we walked into our future together, when we got married, it was beautiful.
And now, a couple years later, it still is.....and more. I have been listening to a song by Bebo Norman called "A Page Has Turned." It makes me tear up. (I think all the events of this last winter are still catching up to me....I cry even watching Biggest Loser reruns!) The lyrics read....
A page is turned by the wind to a boy in curly grin
With a world to conquer at the age of ten
But as history unfolds and the storybook is told
He finds salvation but not at the hands of man
And the God of second chance
Picked him up and He let him dance
Through a world that is not kind
And all this time, preparing him, the one
To hold him up when he comes undone
Beneath the storm, beneath the sun
And now a man, here you stand
Your day has come
A page is turned in this world to reveal a little girl
With a heart that's bigger, as it is unfurled
By the language in her soul, that's teaching her to grow
With a careful cover of love that will not fail
And the God of second chance
Picked her up and He let her dance
Through a world that isn't kind
And all this time, preparing her the one
To hold her up when she comes undone
Beneath the storm, beneath the sun
And grown up tall, here you are
Your day has come
Beneath the air of autumn, she took him by his hand
And warm within the ardor, she took his heart instead
And high upon the mountain, he asked her for her hand
Just for her hand
A page is turned in this life, he's making her his wife
And there is no secret to the source of this much life
When the grace that falls like rain is washing them again
Just a chance to somehow rise above this land
Where the God of second chance
Will pick them up and he'll let them dance
Through a world that is not kind
And all this time, they're sharing with the one
That holds them up when they come undone
Beneath the storm, beneath the sun
And once again, here you stand
And once again, here you stand
Your day has come
I know that some have felt bad for us....that all we have endured began only a handful of months into our married life. But my response to that is, no need to feel bad. True, I wish that my husband would not have had to suffer at all. However, I wish everybody could experience a deep love. We both knew going into our marriage that life was hard because we had experienced it before, only before we didn't have each other. Once we got married, we had each other to help each other along the way...to help each other in the places that have had hurt before.
When I met Caleb, and saw all his good, and also his imperfections, all I can say is much of my mental "list" of what I was looking for in a guy went out the window. What I recognized in him was the Spirit of God, Who was also in me. And God pulled our hearts together. And now that we are married, it is actually quite the same as when we were dating. God's Spirit is the one who works making us more and more united in love and one. His Spirit is working in my husband, and He is working in me. The grace that brought us together will guide us through the ups and downs ahead. And we can stand together, through the ups and downs of life, side-by-side, hand-in-hand, confidently. Because God has been good to us, during each season of our lives. But, in particular, during this season....where God's love for us is partly expressed through the life the other.
God has been good. And He is restoring the broken places.....and it is more beautiful than before....in a world that is unkind, Caleb and I are hand-in-hand facing this life together.


4 comments:
I love hearing your thoughts!! Love you both!
What Imperfections? I remember Caleb as perfect! :)
Julie, thanks for sharing! I love to see how God is working and growing you two together. Gives me a hope for tomorrow! And I love that song. I want to play that at my wedding if God should allow.
Praying for you guys!
SJ
I love this, Julie. :) I echo so many of your thoughts. Ryan often says "I wish I knew you in high school...I would've dated you then!" haha. But...we probably wouldn't be the people we are today if we had met then and we love and appreciate each other all the more for it.
I am so happy for you and Caleb and how you trust the Lord together in your marriage. You are an excellent wife. :) I'm so sad I didn't actually meet him at the wedding!
also..I love that Bebo song. I haven't listened to it in years! I should do something about that.
Post a Comment