Monday, May 23, 2011

Gluten/Dairy Free Tips I Have Learned Along The Way...

It has been 14 years since I have seen my friend, Jana...but I am so excited that I get to see her today!  I have been following her on Facebook, and on her amazing blog, for a bit now.  What is bringing us together? She is now getting her family on a gluten/dairy free diet.  Her kiddos have some medical conditions, so she is a like-minded friend, who is now on board to do whatever lifestyle change is needed to help those she loves!

After reading about what she is undertaking, we decided to get together so I can hopefully help her get started with her new endeavour.  It can be pretty overwhelming at first.  And if you aren't careful, you can spend your entire paycheck on only food because it can get so expensive.  So I put together a collection food that we use a lot.  (Which I have had lots of help from friends like Pam Powell and Deanna Morse!)  I just know Jana will be sharing her tips with me before we know it!  I even wonder if she is already going to know everything I am going to share with her!

So....here is what I came up with.  It would only be of interest for anybody who is trying to eat gluten/dairy free... Or it could be of interest for anybody who wants to see how much work I put into feeding my man.  haha! :)

(Side note: although we are dairy free, we still haven't taken him off eggs.  That will come.  So some of these recipes have eggs in it, for those who are very strict and sensitive!)

BREAKFAST:
*Cereal & Rice Milk....
-I love almond milk.  But considering Caleb likes rice milk with his cereal, and you can get a great deal on it at Costco, we opt with rice milk. 
-Most of the time  you can get Nature's Path "Crunchy Maple Sunrise" at Costco.  If not, you can get it at New Season's or Whole Foods.
-Envirokids has multiple flavors.  We usually get Gorilla Munch or the Peanut Butter kind.  You can get them most places...Trader Joe's, New Seasons, even Fred Meyers.
-Chex has multiple flavors and you can get them most places.  Look for coupons too!
-Rice Krispies is coming out with a gluten free one in the next month or so.  (Great for making treats!)  In the mean time, you can find alternative brands at the health stores.
*Pancakes & Eggs/Omelets
-Bisquick has the best gf mix by a LARGE margin!
-If omelets, we use "daiya" shredded non-dairy cheese cause it melts so well.  New Seasons or Whole Foods has rice/almond cheese alternatives that are great.

LUNCH:
*We keep lunch simple....both for conscience and $$.  Sandwiches.
-Udi's has the best gf bread.  It is small, so you may need two for a man.  I know some people who toast it for sandwiches.  It is definitely better toasted. But to send with Caleb to work, I just make it normally.
-I make turkey or chicken sandwiches with dijon mustard and veggies. 
-I also make tuna/egg salad sandwiches with "Best Foods" mayo. 
-Then we just add a snack or two with his sandwich in his lunch.

SNACKS:
-Lara Bars (Cashew is the best flavor.  But Costco has the best deal.  The cherry ones in it aren't so great tasting though...don't know how kids would like that flavor.)
-Grapefruit cups from Costco
-Peanut Butter & celery (We use Adam's all natural peanut butter)
-Peanut Butter & apples (Caleb eats this after his workouts)
-Peanut Butter  & bananas (My favorite)
-EnerG gf pretzels (I get them at Fred Meyer)
-Chips and salsa (We get Kirkland brand salsa, and Mission chips both at Costco)
-Smoothies!! We make in our magic bullet...frozen blueberry/ frozen strawberry/ spinach or frozen mango/ banana/ spinach smoothies...both with rice milk and raw honey.

DINNER:
*Spaghetti!  (At least once a week)
-Trader Joe's has the best brown rice pasta for the price. 
-We get Classico spaghetti sauce from Costo, again for the price.
-Or you can put some olive oil, shredded non-dairy cheese, garlic, and basil for a pesto with chicken.  (If you are short on time, I just defrost the grilled frozen chicken from Trader Joe's)
-Throw some ground turkey and onions or veggies in it!
-You can make garlic bread by toasting Udi's bread, Earth Balance non-dairy butter spread (I use it all the time and it tastes great!), and garlic powder.
*Hamburgers
-You have to get used to the gf bread instead of buns.  I have more trouble with it than Caleb, believe it or not. 
-Harvest Breads has some good gf buns too.  We just use the bread to save $$.
*We do huge salads!
-all sorts of toppings...and don't forget Quinoa for added protein!
-I got a recipe off my friend Amy Hickman's blog for a homemade dressing we have been using this week...
1&1/3 cup oil, 2/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1 tsp sugar, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp gf worchestershire sauce, 1 tsp paprika
*Quinoa, with roasted veggies, and meat (fish is great with it!)
*Soup!!!  I have a great lentil soup family recipe.  It is pretty easy to make soups gf now.  Just use beans or rice pasta in place of regular noodles. And make sure the soup base (broth) is gf.
*Chicken Quesidillas/Nachos/Tacos
-corn tortillas/chips with "daiya" shredded cheese melted on it with chicken!
-every once in a while we have recently got the frozen chicken tacos from Trader Joe's.  They are super good...kids would like them.  They just aren't too low fat.
*Chicken Nuggets
-This one is for on the go.  Ivan's is the best brand that kids would love too.  I get them in the frozen section at Fred Meyer.
*Rice Bowls
-You can get a great deal on wild rice at Costco.
-Throw black and pinto beans, onions, garlic, salsa, chicken in it!
-Cafe Yumm's sauce is gluten and dairy free too!!
*Bob's Red Mill gf bread mix makes great dinner rolls
*You can never go wrong just having meat on you.  Adding veggies.  Then a starch...brown rice (you can even buy it pre-cooked at Trader Joe's), quinoa, garlic bread, etc.  It saves time and money to just buy a few meats and a few starches and mix and match them throughout the week.  We do this a lot...
*Then....about once a week...I make a more difficult meal.  One that requires more ingredients or work.  That would take too long to post all those recipes all at once.  :)

DESSERTS:
-Coconut IceCream! (We get Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss)
-Kinnikinnick donuts (in the frozen section...I get at Fred Meyer)!  All flavors are GREAT!
-I make peanut butter cookies a lot...I got the recipe from my friend Becca.  It's EASY and CHEAP!  1 cup peanut butter (I use crunchy), 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 egg.  Make sure you smash them down with a fork or they will cook into little balls.  Bake at 350 for 8 minutes on a dark pan.  YUM!
-Enjoy Life pre-made, box cookies.  Caleb like Snickerdoodle.
-Bob's Red Mill Chocolate Chip cookies I heard were good.  Haven't tried them cause Caleb can't eat chocolate.
-Pamela's baking mixes are good.  Anything in that brand is good.
-"The Craving's Place" coffee cake & scone mix (I get it at Fred Meyer).

Anyhow, I am hoping this helps Jana.  She is such a researcher, that I am sure she has already learned a lot already.  And I am super excited to trade recipes and ideas with her in the months ahead!  But for today, it will just be so great to see her again!

No comments:

Post a Comment